ASUS WRT-Merlin is an alternative, custom version of that firmware. Developed by Eric Sauvageau. Its primary goals is to enhance upon the existing ASUS firmware without bringing any radical changes, and to fix some of the known issues and limitations, while maintaining the same level of performance as the original firmware. This means Asuswrt-Merlin retains full support for NAT acceleration (sometimes referred to as “hardware acceleration”), enhanced NTFS performance (through the proprietary drivers used by Asus from either Paragon or Tuxera), and the Asus exclusive features such as AiCloud or the TrendMicro-powered AiProtection. New feature addition is very low on the list of priorities in this project.
Advantages of ASUS WRT-Merlin:
- Has the same look and feel as stock ASUS firmware.
- Enhanced with Open VPN and PPTP VPN Tunneling support.
- Utilizes all performance enhancements designed for ASUS routers.
- Very easy to use.
Additionally this firmware supports Virtual Private Network Tunneling allowing consumers to take advantage of network encryption and protecting your internet privacy.
- Protect your entire home network ensuring all your internet devices have security.
- “Plug and play” connect your router to your internet modem and BAM! Your protected
- Be anonymous while using torrent and internet file-sharing sites.
- Access region blocked content that would otherwise not be available.
- Protect your identity by appearing in a different location online.
- Protect your identity from government spy programs by encrypting your internet data.
- Automatically support open-source community by us donating 25% of net proceeds.